Tuesday, June 30, 2009

CHICK LINE...A journey!: Part 2

Hello everyone! Thanks for all your responses for my previous post and here I am with the continuation of the journey. I strongly recommend the new readers to read the previous post since this is its sequel.

“With my favorite red & black travel bag on my shoulders, I opened the compartment’s door. It gave me almost the feeling which I experience all the time when I cross The Nilgiris border on the Metupalayam–Ooty highway. The cool breeze from inside kissed me. There was a paradigm shift in the temperature. Well, it didn’t have the natural fragrance and feel. However, it felt good after a tiresome 3 hours!

We entered the cabin. It was like a Marriage hall on the eve of the marriage. Things scattered everywhere, Bed-spreads unfolded, everything out of place. It was a total mess. This is the first time I’m boarding a ‘long-journey’ train. India is a diverse country. And our cabin depicted it practically. There were people from various parts of our country. Some were speaking in Hindi, some others in Malayalam, Tulu, Gujarati and many other languages unknown to me. It felt good to see different kinds of people interacting with each other. There were two beautiful kids on our seats. A north-Indian woman near our seat smiled at us, whom we assumed to be the kids’ mother and our assumption was correct. She enquired us about our destination and stuffs like that and after few moments, we started minding our own businesses.

She had just had a haircut. Her waist-length hair was now a few inches below her shoulders. I liked her with long hair, but she never listened to me. Anyway, her hair still looked nice. She wore a white linen top and a flowing lavender skirt. She had on a thin silver necklace, with the world’s tiniest diamond pendant hanging from it.’ I was just reading the book which I had in my bag, One night @ the call center. A full-figured man came into our cabin. He was in his mid-forties who happened to be the kids’ dad... or I can put it in this way too- The good-looking woman's husband. He started speaking to us. We had a casual talk and told him that we belong to Ooty. The man was like “wow!” He said that he had been to our place when he was at college. We started interacting. He was talking about Botanical Garden, Lovedale, Lawrance School and when I was about to yawn, to my astonishment he spoke about Hindustan Photo Films company. I closed my mouth and started listening about his Industrial visit to HPF in the 1970s. The problem with the 20year olds is that they cannot hear old men speak for a long time. Iwaited for him to stop and once he did, I said, ‘we are on our way to Calicut for JAI HO!-Rahman live in concert.’

Everyone was looking at us as if we’ve signed a contract with A.R.Rahman for making an album. I felt as if I was on top of the world when they all admired at us. They are all J about us, I thought. I was keen in knowing what this Nagpuri business man is going to talk about the musical genius. To my amazement, he was good in this too. He said, ‘Sivamani will not make it to the show as he is in South Africa now’ which was indeed a fact. We discussed about Tamilnadu, Tamil Films, Mani Ratnam, cinematography, politics and lots.

Mere paet me choohey kabaddi khelne lage! I was very hungry. So, we both started having our lunch. There was a young girl in our cabin who looked 19 years old. Our Nagpuri started interacting with her as well. I was eavesdropping… Well, not exactly eavesdropping. The conversation was quite loud that it was audible to everyone near by. The girl happened to be physiotherapy student. The man started talking about that subject as well. All this made me to compare us with the people from the north. No matter where they are, they are well informed about the global issues. Something which we all must learn, I thought.

Amidst all this, the tension was still there. Our plan was to reach Kozhikode atleast by 4 o’ clock and it was already 3:45pm. I wished there were Vijaykanth and Spiderman in my train so that they could take us to our destination in the desired time.

Bhai saab, what’s the next stop?

Kozhikode.

I was like, WHAT??????

How many minutes will it take to reach?

‘It almost reached!

It was 4:25pm and we reached Kozhikode. “God, did you really sent Vijaykanth???” I was so glad that we reached our destination. I just got out of the train and had an instinct that something was wrong. I opened my bag and saw. My god!!! My book was missing!! It happens to be one of my birthday gifts and I desperately needed it. I got into the train again and reached my seat. The book was missing there too. God! What am I to do now? I checked all the possible places with haste.

‘Aasif, how can you be so careless?’

‘How can you miss something in a train?’

‘What else have you left?’

Mr. Conscience was howling.

I did another quick check with patience and finally found it in my place near the pillow. Like a hero, I got down from the running train(actually it just started to move). With a sigh of relief, we headed outside the Railway Station.

Kerala is really an awesome place. Environment friendly. Green, green everywhere. You can always feel at home. I guess that’s why god visited here and hence the name-God’s own Country. Unlike Tamilnadu, people opted for auto-rickshaws to town buses. Autos were flooding in front of us but none were ready to take us to our destination as there was road block. One person agreed to take us through a shortcut. We headed to my brother’s friend’s house, refreshed ourselves and headed towards the corporate stadium. And finally we reached the venue. The entire road was crowded with people. Many men were desperately in search of tickets. One of them came to us and asked if we have any extra tickets and we gave a negative answer. He just showed us his cell-phone. ‘Idea’ cellular service providers had turned the tower name to ‘JAI HO.’ I was astonished. We headed towards the entrance, cleared the metal detector test. I was wondering why there wasn't an alcohol test. Whatever. I didn't drink and I really don't(I swear, no lie!).Finally, we were inside the stadium.

Hurray!!
Endrendrum… dandan… Endrendrum punnagai! Mudivilla punnagai!"

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

interesting aasif,keep going........

Ashmur said...

Nice follow up dude. I disagree with you on one thing though. We South Indians are far better when it comes to General awareness. My experience during my many trips to Delhi and Maharashtra, taught me the following things:
1. North Indians refer to all South Indians as "Madrasis", no matter where you are from.
2. The only thing that comes to their mind when you talk abt S India is Idly and Dosa. They willingly shell out some 50 bucks for 2 idlies in an ordinary restaurant.
3. They know nothing abt south Indian history. While we spend years learning abt the different emperors who ruled the northern part our country in our History lessons, they dont know even one emperor who ruled over the south.
4. For many people there, south india doesn't exist or it exists only in the map.
I can go on writing a mock tale on this topic. There are a few exceptions though, like the chap you met. Otherwise, we South Indians are far better in the General Awareness front.

CriA'TVT' said...

@Anonymous: Thank you.

@Ashmur: Well, the teacher who had introduced me Cholas and Pandyas was a north-Indian. They admire our ancestors. My neighbors, many north-Indians... I'd learned a million things from them. I'd come across many people while traveling, who speak about my hometown's history. Yeah! As you said there are exceptions, exceptions EVERYWHERE.
Thanks for reading & keep blogging.

Rahulan said...

now this was much better.... stuck mostly to one thing rather so many things like the previous post.... Mr.Conscience was a good touch...could have used him more....

Arumugham.S said...

Hey even I was there for Jai Ho Concert.:)